It’s everywhere in the U.S. market and here to stay: everyone’s talking about Korean skincare and beauty products! Essence… snails… charcoal… really? Yes! Americans are starting to take notice, but why all the hype? What’s so Special About Korean Skincare?
When I decided to expand SunnyGurl and create an online skin shop that focused on more than just Careprost and Retin-A, I looked at hundreds of good skincare products to represent the face and culture of SunnyGurl. I wanted to bring unique, affordable products with natural elements that really brought positive, healthy changes to the skin.
Korean Skincare Is Good for You!
I was first introduced to Korean skincare products years ago when I spent time in Japan teaching English. Almost all my students, from teens to women and men alike, weren’t using Japanese brands, but Korean products to cleanse and nurture their skin! Korean skincare dominates the Asian market because it is well recognized that South Koreans know something special about preserving youthful glow and vitality!
Koreans are dedicated to skin health. They know that beautiful skin is beauty. They understand that healthy skin is a commitment over time. Why cover blemishes with make-up? Prevent skin problems in the first place! Nurture your skin with powerful ingredients from nature… and don’t skip even one day in your skincare regimen! Not to scare you, but in Korea you have up to 10 cleansing and moisturizing steps every morning and evening!
From childhood Korean consumers are focused on prevention and getting to the root of skin problems. They use products consistently rather than just once, looking for immediate results. South Koreans believe that with time and effort, you can be in control of your skin – you don’t have to react to the way it’s acting. It saves time (and money) to maintain your skin’s health and appearance, rather than scrambling to fix problems as they arise.
Why Is K-Beauty Different?
Here are ways that K-Beauty stands out from the crowd!
- Effective and affordable formulas. In Korea, skincare isn’t a luxury. The demand for quality products is widespread. Additionally, people are picky! They know what they want from their skincare, and they’re not going to pay a fortune for it. Companies sell the best products at reasonable prices for this reason. Competition is fierce!
- Research goes into offering the best ingredients. Generally, Korean consumers have sensitive skin, so companies strive to offer the most effective and gentle ingredients. They do this through research and listening to opinions and feedback. Flagship ingredients include hyaluronic acid, fruit and vegetable peptides, bamboo charcoal and for the brave- snail filtrate.
- The design of the packaging matters. K-Beauty products have a lot of competition, so they have to grab consumers’ attention. They do this with an aesthetically pleasing design for an enjoyable user experience. There are pandas, anime, flowers…you name it! Marketing presents a clever range of oh-so-cute to sophisticated and refined elegance.
- Brand loyalty? What’s that? South Korean consumers rotate products and brands and use a variety of them; there’s more emphasis on the new rather than the classics. Companies have to quickly create new products to keep up with consumers. Korean products stay innovative and one step ahead of what consumers want.
So How Do Koreans View Beautiful Skin?
The way skin looks and feels is of the utmost importance!
- Dewy, firm skin is the most desired beauty trait. In America, we’re afraid of oily skin, and most products are designed for a matte look. Not in Korea! That soft, moonlit glow is the goal of women and men! There’s even a phrase for it: chok chok. Don’t confuse dewy for oily. When you’re dewy, you glow. This is accomplished by hydrating with facial mists, moisturizers, and essences (which were developed and made popular by… you guessed it: South Korea!)
- Brightening, yes! Bleaching, no. This translates to a bright, smooth and even skin tone with minimal imperfections. Be aware that many K-Beauty products are labeled “whitening,” but this actually means “brightening.” These are typically from natural ingredients and safe for all skin tones.
- Makeup takes a back seat. Sad but true: Traditional cosmetics can act as a band-aid for longer-lasting conditions, like acne, sun spot damage and fine lines. Cosmetics are not a treatment; just a temporary fix. In Korea, a smooth, clean canvas that’s prepped for makeup application is the way to go. Why not go with minimal makeup and still look flawless? The no-makeup makeup look is very popular! Who needs makeup when she/he has perfect skin?
Final Thoughts: Get Started with Korean Skincare Beauty Products
I’m very pleased with the feedback that we are receiving on the new Korean skincare products available at SunnyGurl.com. From natural cleansers and serums to anti-aging primers and moisturizers, I’m confident you’ll find an exceptional product or collection perfect for your unique skin.
Get started with Korean Beauty Products
Thanks for reading! Do you have experience with Korean beauty products? Specific questions about products on SunnyGurl.com? Please let us know what you think in the comment section below. Don’t be shy!